The Sally S was built in 1927 in the J.C. Johnson Shipyard Port Blakeley, Bainbridge Island, WA - less than 20 miles from where she is moored today.
She was designed by legendary naval architect, L.E. "Ted" Geary, who also designed northwest classics such as the Blue Peter, the Malibu, and the Westward. He was known for his signature fan tail.
The Sally S worked as a tugboat and cannery tender in the Puget Sound and surrounding waters, all the way up to Alaska up until 1985. In 1951 she was purchased by Western Towboat as one of their first tugboats. They are now one of the largest towboat companies in the area.
In 1985, Sally S was retired, abandoned and essentially left to rot. Greg Mallory and his family bought the Sally S and went through major renovations to convert her to a residential live-a-board. He lived there with his family until selling the boat in 2008.
The current owners worked with Marian Built, a local company that works in creating environments from reclaimed materials, and renovated the interior. The result is a fresh look with modern conveniences while still preserving the history of Sally S.